*** YOUR DAILY DO’S – TUESDAY, 7 AM ***
Gooooooood morning, Indivisible of Washington! I don't know about you but I am ready to reach out and TOUCH somebody! (Not literally though) (because that would be too Presidential of me) (and I'm not a monster) (just a radical left-wing activist) (who posted this call to action right before changing her 4-year-old out of his sharky jam-jams) (YA MESSED WITH THE WRONG MAMAS, MR. T)
1. I’ve got two petitions for you to sign: These aren’t the standard online petitions – both are going to be hand-delivered to legislators rather than pinged to a slush box.
- This one is asking Jason Chaffetz (R-UT), Chair of the Committee on House Oversight and Government Reform, to investigate the president’s conflicts of interest: https://tinyurl.com/jt2c2wn
- This one is amplifying the South Seattle Indivisible group (Seattle Resists) with signatures on a letter to Sens Murray and Cantwell, saying “Bannon Must Go.” Read and cosign if you agree! https://tinyurl.com/gvjttqy
2. Not to be morbid, but it IS 2017... and this President has the nuclear codes and wouldn’t it be nice if we had those on a leash? Rep Lieu of CA and Sen. Markey of MA have got our backs – they’ve introduced a bill called the Restricting First Use of Nuclear Weapons Act of 2017 that prohibits the President from launching nuclear attack without a declaration of war by Congress. Please call your Senators and Reps and ask them to support this bill! I'm not posting your reps' contact info because you need to have that business programmed in your phone on speed dial at this point, y'all, and if you don't have it there yet, you know how to work the Google machine! It's graduation day. http://bit.ly/2j1hKxx
3. OH, and to round out the outrage trifecta this morning, did you know that Rep. Steve King from Iowa has introduced a “Heartbeat Bill” in the US Congress, prohibiting abortions if a fetal heart rate can be detected? You know, I just kept thinking, like, “Sure, this is all really bad, but at least I can still be in charge of my—“ NOPE! YEP! THIS is happening! So let’s try to shut this down RIGHT. NOW. Call your peeps.
(If you have a personal story and are willing to share it with your Rep or Senator, it could really help them strike down this outrageous bill. Please consider writing it down and sharing it, first over the phone, and then via email - human stories make all the difference here!)
Katie Anthony is a writer, one of the administrators of Pantsuit Washington, and heads the Daily Do's team.
Liz Bander - writer
Angela Teater- Writer