The weekly roundup highlights the actions we took and the amazing results of our hard work. Going forward I will summarize the week in the main post then provide a link and action roundup in the first comment. If you didn't have time to act during the week, you can still do some things over the weekend.
Also, as always, I want to give a huge shoutout to every single one of you who took action this week. Activist fatigue is a real thing and it's important to guard against it. Remember that one action is more meaningful than no action, so if you can do one a day, do one. If you can do more that is wonderful, but don't ever think that any contribution is too small.
Every action counts! Don't ever forget that you have a voice.
Here are this week's highlights. FOR ACTION LINKS AND INFO, PLEASE SEE THE FIRST COMMENT:
• Members of Indivisible attended a virtual workshop held by Standing up for Racial Justice.
• As a result of activism for Standing Rock almost $77 million has been divested from DAPL-supporting banks.
• The Obamacare replacement never made it to vote. Trump looks stupid. Ryan looks stupid. We still have the Affordable Care Act. Yeah!
• We continued to pressure our state legislators to make sure education is funded in Washington State.
• We contacted our senators to express our stance on the Gorsuch nomination.
• We continue to pressure our cities to divest from Standing Rock (except Seattle, they already did - yeah Seattle).
This week's theme is justice.
WEEK ENDING MARCH 24, 2017 - ACTION LINKS AND INFO PART I:
• We've got a shitload of plans for funding public education in WA, and none of them actually fund education. I mean, some of them don't-fund education worse than others - the Republican plan is a whopping $2.4 billion short - but the Democrats haven't clearly stated how they will fund their plan either!
• Contact your three state legislators. (Yes, even the Dems!) Script and talking points in comments at this post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/PantsuitWashington/permalink/1609952935701090/
• Find your rep here: http://app.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/
• Share/Tweet this meme - https://tinyurl.com/jkn3bgj
• #StandWithStandingRock - Commit to COMPLETE personal divestment from banks that do business with DAPL. - Your checking account, but your credit cards, retirement accounts, everything. Comment here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/PantsuitWashington/permalink/1609952935701090/ with a favorite affirmative word, noise, gesture, or Shakespearean exclamation if you are IN.
• Check this list of the 17 banks directly funding DAPL and the 18 banks funding the parent companies. http://bit.ly/2caVR7n
• Call the CEO of the bank today and let him/her know that you will be closing your accounts. Here's a list of whom to contact: http://bit.ly/2f5FBsL
• Move your money - here's how: http://350seattle.org/move-your-money/
• Then, take the movement a step farther. When cities divest, that represents whole communities and way more money moving away from unjust projects.. Learn more: https://www.thenation.com/…/these-cities-are-divesting-fro…/
• Comment here with your city/town if you're interested in connecting with others to start this in your area! https://www.facebook.com/groups/PantsuitWashington/permalink/1612170798812637/ This guide walks through the steps to get your city to divest, based on the Seattle ordinance: https://mazaskatalks.org/
#Give5 to PAI, an organization that works to protect women’s reproductive rights around the world. - http://pai.org/
• Gorsuch, Gorsuch, Gorsuch: Here's a chart that demonstrates where Gorsuch would fall ideology-wise on the current court: http://nyti.ms/2ktn5wS
• This is one opinion piece that lays out a strong case for not opposing him: http://slate.me/2jU9Ncb
• And another that gives a strong reason to oppose vocally: http://huff.to/2mO3MwQ
• And another that gives another great reason to oppose him: http://n.pr/2mZdmOh
• So what do you think about Gorsuch? How are you going to move on this? Tell us in the comments here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/PantsuitWashington/permalink/1610400305656353/
• With the confirmation vote still days or possibly weeks away, it’s important to get Gorsuch to answer hard questions on the record. Call Senators Murray and Cantwell and urge them to ask Gorsuch about his stance on what matters most to you. http://bit.ly/2jUYMVs
• You might be as shocked to learn that our state is #1 in the country for jailing kids for non-criminal offenses. In January, King County Executive Constantine asked the county to commit to no new youth detention by 2020. Yet, he is still moving forward with using 200 million in taxpayer dollars to build a new youth jail for King County.
• If you live outside King County, contact your mayor or county executive and ask three questions:
1) How many youth are in detention in our county?
2) What is our county policy on jail for non-criminal youth behavior (such as truancy or running away)?
3) What would it take to commit to no new youth detention in our county?
• If you live inside of King County, you've got two calls, and an event:
1) Call Seattle's Mayor Murray to support the commitment to no new youth detention by pushing for reconsideration of the New Youth Jail permit.
2) Call King County Exec. Constantine to stand behind his pledge and push for reconsideration of the New Youth Jail permit.
SCRIPTS IN THE COMMENTS here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/PantsuitWashington/permalink/1610955082267542/
Like · Reply · 12 hrs
Jennifer Lesher WEEK ENDING MARCH 24, 2017 - ACTION LINKS AND INFO PART II:
CIVIL RIGHTS AND RACISM:
• Learn more about Ella Baker who was born in Virginia in 1903, the granddaughter of a slave, only one generation removed from the atrocity of slavery and the Civil War. She grew up in North Carolina, graduated from Shaw University, and moved to New York City where she began working with W.E.B. Du Bois, Thurgood Marshall, and Martin Luther King Jr..
• Read the whole post from Tuesday: https://www.facebook.com/groups/PantsuitWashington/permalink/1611725008857216/
• Workshop: Move the Needle: Conversations on Race (Seattle) Sunday, March 26
• This workshop is the first in a series, and all can be taken individually and/or as part of the series. The facilitator works from the point of view that internalized white supremacy is inherent in all of us as white folks, that it has been something socialized into us from a very young age, and that we must approach this with anger towards the system that socialized us to think this way while actively undoing the internalized superiority within ourselves.
• RSVP: https://www.facebook.com/events/1471056976251669/
HOLDING OUR ELECTED OFFICIALS ACCOUNTABLE:
• #Give5: to support Kim Weaver, who will run against Steve "we can't restore our civilization with someone else's babies" King. For more info: http://bit.ly/2mU8Ksr. To donate: http://weaverforcongress.nationbuilder.com/
• For months, we’ve been talking about the growing body of evidence linking the current administration and its election campaign to Russia. Yesterday we learned that as early as 2005, the president’s former campaign chair, Paul Manafort, was paid big bucks to further Putin’s political agenda abroad. Last night, Senator McCain came out and said point blank that Congress no longer has the credibility to investigate the administration’s Russia ties. We agree with him. For more info: http://bit.ly/2nKHL6b
- Contact Maria Cantwell and Patty Murray to ask that they advocate strongly for a select committee on Russia.
- Contact Mitch McConnell—or as I like to think of him, the turtle man holding up an important investigation—to form a special committee to investigate Russia connections.
Script in the comments: https://www.facebook.com/groups/PantsuitWashington/permalink/1613363068693410/
DEVELOPING OURSELVES AS ACTIVISTS:
• Sign up to attend: Civil Disagreement (Bellevue) Wednesday, March 29. Part of a three-part "Better Together" series, David E. Smith, PhD, "will teach ways to have meaningful, civil conversations with others by building bridges between ourselves and those with whom we disagree." There will also be facilitated practice during the session.
• RSVP to email@example.com or 425-452-6836. http://www.bellevuewa.gov/12691.htm
ONE LITTLE THING - NOT OTHERWISE CATEGORIZED:
• Help your friends and community get free tax assistance from volunteers. Share http://bit.ly/1sNLuxU or http://bit.ly/1PEPCJz so that more people are aware of the programs available to them.
• Check out Octavia Butler: If you'd like to read some of her work, several works are available in a Humble Bundle featuring Women of Sci-Fi and Fantasy (or there's always the library!). You can select the charity you donate to this time https://www.humblebundle.com/…/women-of-scifi-and-fantasy-b…
• If you know a writer of color, consider sharing the Octavia E. Butler Memorial Scholarship info with them. http://octaviabutler.org/scholarship/
• Original Essay (and NPR interview): - http://www.npr.org/…/…/racism/010830.octaviabutleressay.html