*** YOUR DAILY DO'S - 3/20, MORNING EDITION *** Katie Anthony
Welcome back, IndiWArriors!
This week we are centering our work on justice. Justice is behaving according to what is morally right and fair. Justice is equitable, impartial, and unprejudiced. HAVE YOU SEEN IT ANYWHERE??? No? Well, shit. I guess we're going to have to make our own, then.
Alexander Hamilton said, "The first duty of society is justice." So IndiWA, we are focusing on that first duty this week. We'll act on a literal justice, the justice department, social justice, racial justice, and #OneLittleThing you can do to be an agent of justice (hint: put on your blindfold, sister.)
1. #GoLong on Education- We've got a shitload of plans for funding public education in WA, and none of them actually fund education. I mean, some of them don't-fund education worse than others - the Republican plan is a whopping $2.4 billion short - but the Democrats haven't clearly stated how they will fund their plan either!
- Contact your three state legislators. (Yes, even the Dems!) Script and talking points below.
- Share/Tweet this meme (thanks Liza Rankin!) and some version of this Do!
"I'm ____ from ____. I'm calling today to request that your top priority this year be passing legislation that fully funds public education WITHOUT taking money from other state services."
- Full funding
- This year
- New, progressive revenue
- Don't take money from other state services
2. #StandWithStandingRock - Divestment is a powerful tactic to fight back against DAPL - it tells the banks they can't use our money to fund injustice. Today your action is to commit to COMPLETELY personally divest - not just your checking account, but your credit cards, retirement accounts, everything.
- Comment with a favorite affirmative word, noise, gesture, or Shakespearean exclamation if you are IN, and not willing to let banks poison our water with your money anymore.
- Are you banking with the 17 banks directly funding DAPL or the 18 banks funding the parent companies?
- Call the CEO of the bank today and let him/her know that you will be closing your accounts.
- Here's how to move your money:
"I'm ____ and I have _____ account(s) with your bank. I am calling to let you know that I'll be closing all of my accounts over the next month. This institution is using my money to fund human rights abuses and environmental disasters."
- Closing account
- You can't use my money to fund the DAPL
- DAPL development has resulted in human rights violations, treaty violations
- Pipelines compromise clean water
- Water is life**********************
3. All the ladies in the house say WHAT THE F$(*#&@^!( - This past January, 45 signed an executive order restoring a global gag rule prohibiting NGOs from performing activities such as informing clients about abortion and their reproductive rights.
(It is important to note that this EO affects not only NGOs that receive aid for family planning (as was the case in the past), but also NGOs that receive any kind of health care funding at all. In practical terms, this means that an organization with the mission to fight polio must refrain from counseling women on their reproductive rights, lest their funding be stripped completely.)
This is an appalling addition to an already horrifying law, one that will have real and terrible consequences for women worldwide.
- #Give5 to PAI, an organization that works to protect women’s reproductive rights around the world.
Katie Anthony is a writer, one of the administrators of Pantsuit Washington, and heads the Daily Do's team.
Liz Bander - writer
Angela Teater- Writer