*** YOUR DAILY DO’S – TUESDAY, 7 AM EDITION *** A lot of action in the last 24 hours here people. Let’s put on our Pantsuits and get to work this morning! I’ve been thinking a lot about the gaslighting that’s going on – “We won in a LANDSLIDE,” “We got the majority of LEGAL votes.” DJT seems to believe that he actually earned the trust of the majority of Americans, and say what you will about the man, but when it comes to self-aggrandizing talking points, he sticks like peanut butter on the roof of your mouth. Never forget: We showed up on election day and trounced him by millions. But he could still get a mandate. Because decisions are made by those who show up. The only way this man actually GETS a mandate is if we cave in to hopelessness, futility, boredom, and the normalizing that so many HOPE will make us numb to these incremental steps toward danger. If we stay home, he wins. SHOW UP. Do not surrender a mandate, not after we’ve all fought so long to hold our ground.
These phone calls are URGENT, as they have to do with legislation that is likely going up for a vote TODAY. 1. At the start of each Congress, rules are put in place to control how operations will run for the succeeding two-year term. Yesterday afternoon, the House Republican Conference approved a change that would eliminate the current, independent Office of Congressional Ethics for this Congress. THE HOUSE RULES VOTE IS EXPECTED TODAY. Quoting the NY Times article:
"In place of the office, Republicans would create a new Office of Congressional Complaint Review that would report to the House Ethics Committee, which has been accused of ignoring credible allegations of wrongdoing by lawmakers." http://nyti.ms/2hN05ZI Call your own Reps (whoever they are) since there will be a full vote; call the committee office (majority and minority); if your own personal Representative is a member of the Judiciary committee (and Suzan DelBene IS!) it is even more important that you call ASAP. Remember it’s 3 hours later in D.C. so let’s sit down and bang these out together!
1. Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-VA) (202) 225-5431
2. House Judiciary Committee office (202) 225-3951
3. House Judiciary minority office (202) 225-6906
4. Suzan DelBene (202) 225-6311 AND/OR
5. Your Rep (Script in Comments) 2. Do you still have your phone in your hand? GREAT. Because we are calling about the REINS Act and the Midnight Rules Act. Again? AGAIN. Think about all of the ways that governmental agencies safeguard us – safety and quality standards for our kids’ school lunches, the cleanliness of our air and water, what should go into baby formula, whether or not investment fund managers need to be truthful when describing the performance of a fund. These laws sound boring ; they are wolves in sheep’s clothing. Do not let these laws quietly pass! (Script in comments) 3. Your friendly/fierce Daily Do’s team is looking to add a few more voices! If you’re interested in researching Daily Do’s, connecting with other groups and organizing coordinated efforts like our #RapidResponse, and working with a damn fine group of people, PM me and let’s chat! If you’re already plugged into an existing organization and would love to get some air time on the Do’s, that’s great too! We are particularly looking for Pantsuiters of diverse perspectives and from marginalized communities, but passionate Pantsuiters of all backgrounds are welcome at the table. #DailyDos
Katie Anthony is a writer, one of the administrators of Pantsuit Washington, and heads the Daily Do's team.
Liz Bander - writer
Angela Teater- Writer