The Mexico City Policy is known as the "Global Gag rule". It prevents any organization that mentions or offers abortion from receiving US funds for Health care.
Understanding the "Mexico City Policy" reinstated by Pres. Trump yesterday. This affects USAID funds for healthcare around the world.
1. This rule is already LAW, it does not require any congressional approval. It will de-fund critical women's health care around the world, particularly impacting clinics in Africa.
2. USAID women's health funds are roughly $607 million globally for reproductive health.
3. The US government has always forbidden the use of funds from the US Agency for International Development to pay for abortions overseas,
4. the Mexico City rule states US aid cannot go to foreign clinics or groups that "actively promote abortion," regardless of whether they do it with money from non-US sources. It is a GAG rule. You mention abortion in your family planning clinic, you lose funding. Actively promote abortion is interpreted as ANY mention of abortion as an option anywhere in the clinic.
6. Research has shown in when the Bush Administration enforced the policy, abortion rates actually went up in the affected countries, because the women LOST access to family planning and contraceptives.
So our sisters around the world will lost $600 million in critical women's health services.